The Office of Undergraduate Research will accept Research Travel Applications for travel occurring in the Spring 2019 semester only. We are unable to approve any additional requests for funding for travel within the fall 2018 semester.
The Office of Undergraduate Research through the Division of Academic & Student Affairs (DASA) may provide Travel Awards of up to a maximum of $500 (amounts may vary) to current (active/enrolled) NC State University undergraduate students to formally present their undergraduate research at a regional, national and/or international conference. These awards are given on a rolling basis and there is no hard deadline. The number of available travel awards in any given academic year will be based on available funding.
- The student must be presenting their own research in a formal presentation at an international, national or regional discipline conference/meeting and listed as lead author or co-author of a undergraduate team only.
- The student must be an enrolled/active undergraduate student at time of travel.
- For example, if you graduate in Dec of 2017 you can not apply for a travel award for travel during March of 2018.
- Travel dates should take place from July 2018 through June 2019.
- Travel awards will be based on available funds and review of your submission of the completed documents.
- These awards are not guaranteed to be awarded based solely on completion of submission documents. They will be reviewed and a determination email will be sent within 1-2 weeks (5-10 business days) from receipt of ALL required documents. We make every effort to review and approve as completed applications are received, but please allow for the 1-2 week turn around time (aka 1-2 weeks prior to start of travel, though 30+ days prior to travel is recommended).
- Travel Awards will NOT be approved after travel is completed.
- REMEMBER: The poster or the last oral presentation slide must acknowledge receipt of this travel award from the Office of Undergraduate Research, NC State University; similarly, if the student has received an award to conduct research from the Office of Undergraduate Research, it must also be acknowledged.
- A student will be awarded a maximum of one (1) Travel award per academic year (July-June)
- We do not provide funding to those attending a conference only (ie. not listed as a presenter in the program or abstract acceptance).
- Being listed as co-author to a faculty member or graduate student(s) does not qualify for funding. (This needs to be the undergraduate student’s work and presented as such.)
- General (cross-discipline) research conferences/symposiums or informal presentations are not included in consideration for funding.
- Research teams (multiple students) making a single presentation will receive lower priority and may receive reduced funding. For example, a team of two students may be awarded $500 to present one project = $250 per student.
- These particular “awards” are treated as travel reimbursements based on University travel policies and procedures.
- Please check these policies before booking travel as some things are not able to be reimbursed, such as AirBnB, hotel receipts without your name printed on it, cost to print poster, meals in excess of per diem, poster printing, etc. https://controller.ofa.ncsu.edu/thetravelcenter/
- IMPORTANT: The OUR cannot and will not reimburse students for items not paid directly by the student*. For example, travel paid directly by a university department or student organization. *We can disburse your award to a department after travel is completed, if travel paid by department (this does not include student organizations).
- The OUR reserves the right to limit the number of grants given for any particular conference. For example: If we receive requests from 10 different students to attend the same conference we may only fund 2-3 of those students.
- NCUR and the ACC meeting of the Minds conferences are handled separately from the Travel Awards and you should not apply for a OUR Travel Award for funding to attend one of these conferences.
CLICK HERE to go to the Apply for a OUR Travel Award page
International Travel Gateway
Effective summer 2017 travel, all students engaging in university-affiliated, non-credit international travel will be required to submit their itinerary to the International Travel Gateway. If you receive a OUR Travel Grant and are traveling outside of the United States, you will HAVE to use the International Travel Gateway.
How to Log Your Travel
- Please visit: http://go.ncsu.edu/internationaltravelgateway.
- Log in using your Unity ID and password.
- Select your travel dates and add your destination(s). Provide emergency contact information, and your reason for NC State-affiliated travel. Read and sign the liability waiver. Click Submit.
Students traveling as part of a university-affiliated group must each register individually.
If you have questions please contact Heather King at firstname.lastname@example.org