The Office of Undergraduate Research through the Division of Academic & Student Affairs (DASA) may provide Travel Awards up to $500 (amounts may vary) to current (active/enrolled) NC State University undergraduate students to formally present their research at a regional, national, and/or international conference. These awards are given on a rolling basis. There is no hard deadline. The number of available travel awards in any given academic year will be based on available funding.
- The student must be presenting their own research in a formal presentation at an international, national, or regional discipline conference/meeting
- Travel Awards are only given to students who are presenting their research. We do not provide funding to those solely attending a conference.
- General (cross-discipline) research conferences or informal presentations are not included in consideration for funding
- The student must be listed as lead author or co-author of an undergraduate team only
- Being listed as co-author to a faculty member or graduate student(s) does not qualify for funding. The presentation needs to be the undergraduate student’s work and presented as such.
- The student must be an enrolled/active undergraduate student at time of travel
- For example, if you graduate in December 2019 you can not apply for a travel award for travel during March 2020
- Travel dates must take place from July 2019 through June 2020
- Travel Awards cannot be approved after travel is completed
- The poster or the last slide of an oral presentation must acknowledge receipt of this Travel Award from the Office of Undergraduate Research at NC State University; similarly, if the student has received an award to conduct research from the Office of Undergraduate Research, it must also be acknowledged.
- Please submit at least two weeks prior to the start of your travel, 30+ days prior is recommended
- Travel Awards are based on available funds and review of your submission of the completed documents
- Each application will be reviewed and a determination email will be sent within 1-2 weeks (5-10 business days) from receipt of ALL required documents
- These awards are not guaranteed solely on submitting all documents
- We make every effort to review and approve as completed applications are received.
- A student will be awarded a maximum of one Travel Award per academic year (July-June)
- Research teams (multiple students) making a single presentation will receive lower priority and may receive reduced funding
- Example: a team of two students may be awarded $500 to present one project = $250 per student
- Travel Awards are processed as travel reimbursements based on University travel policies and procedures.
- Please check these policies before booking travel https://controller.ofa.ncsu.edu/thetravelcenter/
- OUR reserves the right to limit the number of awards given for any particular conference
- Example: If we receive requests from 10 students to attend the same conference, we may only fund 2-3 of those students
- You should not apply for an OUR Travel Award for funding to attend one of the following conferences (these are funded separately):
- ACC Meeting of the Minds
- NCUR – Click here to submit an application for funding to attend NCUR
- Posters on the Hill
Expenses that will not be reimbursed to the student:
- AirBnB, Vrbo, Home Away, etc
- Any third party vendors
- Hotel receipts without the student name listed
- Poster Printing
- Expenses paid by a department* to student
- Rental Cars
- Mileage for anyone other than the driver
- Meals in excess of per diem rates
CLICK HERE to go to the Apply for a OUR Travel Award page
*If a department covers any part of the travel for a student who receives a Travel Award, then the department will receive the award via an IDT and the student will not be reimbursed for any expense directly
International Travel Gateway
Effective summer 2017 travel, all students engaging in university-affiliated, non-credit international travel will be required to submit their itinerary to the International Travel Gateway. If you receive an OUR Travel Award and are traveling outside of the United States, you have to use the International Travel Gateway.
How to Log Your Travel
- Please visit: http://go.ncsu.edu/internationaltravelgateway
- Log in using your Unity ID and password
- Select your travel dates and add your destination(s)
- Provide emergency contact information, and your reason for NC State-affiliated travel
- Read and sign the liability waiver
- Click Submit
Students traveling as part of a university-affiliated group must register individually.
If you have questions please contact Heather King at email@example.com