OUR Federal Work-Study Research Assistant Positions
The Office of Undergraduate Research through the Division of Academic and Student Affairs provides undergraduate research positions through the Federal Work-Study program up to the maximum of the student’s FWS award during an academic year.
You do not have to apply for a specific job, with a specific mentor, etc. You can apply and the OUR will try its best to match you with a mentor/job.
Note: FWS is one option for a research assistant position or for becoming involved with research. There are a variety of opportunities, and we encourage you to come speak with the OUR about what might work for you!
Federal Work-Study Research Assistant Program
Must have a FWS Award through Financial Aid to be eligible to apply.
AY23-24 applications will open in August 2023.
- Students MUST be eligible for Federal Work-Study.
- Students MUST be undergraduates enrolled in at least six credit hours.
- The hiring process must be completed in order to receive the FWS award funding.
- Students must have a faculty mentor or expert in the research area to serve as their mentor.
- The student is required to present at the NC State Spring Symposium. Your work can be a work in progress.
- The student is required to complete a professional development activity each semester.
- The student will complete a final survey.
- Students may not receive an OUR research award during the same time as working as an OUR FWS RA.
- Students must use the online application [link below].
- Students do not have to have a mentor to apply.
- The Federal Work-Study financial aid award is not a lump sum award, but a paid job.
- Positions are typically valued at $1,500 – $2,000 per academic year.
- New hires are paid at $14 per hour, returning OUR FWS RA’s are paid at $15 per hour (effective Fall 2023).
- Students work on average 5-10 hours per week.
- The WolfTime web-based time clock is used by students to clock in and out for hours worked.
- Students will use Moodle Projects to access program information and requirements after being hired.
- A contract will be required that details the specific expectations and be signed by the student and mentor.
Please email any questions you have to the office at email@example.com
Complete restrictions, requirements, and details may be found in the OUR FWS RA Position Handbook found below.
The OUR uses a general job listing that is meant to encompass all colleges and disciplines for its posting within the Federal Work-Study Job site found in the MyPack Portal.
The OUR also offers positions through the Provost’s Professional Experience (PEP) Program. Students must already have a mentor, and applications are due at the beginning of the academic year. All RA positions have requirements to remain employed/in good standing.
If you have a faculty mentor that is interested in having their own PEP positions, please have them reach out to Marion Zanga (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid for more information.
In addition, the OUR offers positions through the OUR RA Program. See site for details.