Undergraduate students create colorful visual presentations of their research using nothing but chalk drawn on the sidewalks.
Abstracts & Photos from the 2019 Sidewalk Symposium
How to Participate
Students of all backgrounds and experience-levels are invited to register using the form linked below. Your research project does not need to be “complete” to participate. Participants will need to be available from noon-2pm on September 12 to chalk “posters” on the sidewalk and share their work with those passing by. OUR will supply plenty of colorful chalk. See our Call for Presenters for more information..
Registration is now closed
Get creative and consider including:
- Questions your project seeks to answer or raise
- Thought-provoking or troubling facts, statistics, etc.
- Interesting or surprising outcomes, conclusions, etc.
- Diagrams of methods, relevant processes, etc.
- Illustrations of biological or chemical structures
- Drawings of mechanical components and designs excerpts (quotations) from qualitative survey data
- Titles of creative or performance pieces
- Historical timelines or the names of important figures
- Graphs, charts or tables of significant data
- Mathematical formulas, relevant theorems, etc.
- Problems your project aims to address
Assistance with Your Work
An artist will be available throughout the event to help conceptualize your research into chalk art. Participants will have the opportunity to meet with this artist for a consultation in advance if they would like.
Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Office of Undergraduate Research, NC State Libraries, and the NC State Craft Center.