The Office of Undergraduate Research through the Division of Academic & Student Affairs (DASA) will provide undergraduate research and creativity awards ranging in amounts up to $2,000 to undergraduate students for research projects for the Summer semesters. These awards are open to all disciplines for students pursuing undergraduate research, scholarship and creative activities. The number of awards given is determined by amount of funding available at the time the selection process occurs. Proposals are reviewed by faculty/post-docs within the home college of the mentor.
Requirements and Restrictions:
- Students wishing to apply for the NC State Undergraduate Research Awards should:
- Have a mentor identified for the research,
- Prepare a research proposal,
- Complete a budget of expenses related to the research, as part of the online submission.
- Review the Award Proposal Scoring and Rubric Info
- The research must be done during the Summer.
- It is expected that the research be your focus over the summer; not course work. For that reason, students taking classes will not be eligible for living expenses and eligible for a maximum award of $500 (see Funding details below).
- ONLY NC State University active/registered* undergraduates may apply. (*The student should be registered for Fall courses at the time the grant is processed for payment in May/June)
- If you graduate in May, prior to the next summer semester, you are not eligible for award funding for the Summer.
- OUR Awards are available to students for supplies and materials and some travel related to conducting research.
- Students who are taking 6 or more credit hours of summer courses are eligible for a lower maximum level of $500.
- We are not able to support the costs of living expenses if you are enrolled in classes full-time (6 or more credit hours). This is in line with our awards that we offer during the academic year. If you plan to attend classes over the summer while conducting research, you will be eligible for a reduced award for materials and supplies only. The OUR will verify enrollment status prior to award decisions.
- Up to $2,000 OUR UGR Awards available for students taking 0-5 credit hours of summer courses (living expenses [rent, utilities and meals] plus materials and supplies).
Proposals will be accepted beginning February 4, 2019 through March 10, 2019