Broadly defined, research is an interconnected and global process that adds new knowledge, creativity, and innovation to any discipline, from the sciences to the arts to the humanities and in between. This course will provide students with the opportunity to engage in research in any discipline.
Course Structure for Spring 2021
- 1st half of semester: Broad overview of research as a global enterprise, conceptualize independent research project
- Spring Break: Travel to Prague to conduct research and explore the significance of research in the Czech Republic
- 2nd half of semester: Analyze data, present project at the NC State Spring Research & Creativity Symposium
- At NC State, class meetings will take place on Fridays from 3:00-3:50pm.
- In Prague, classes will take place at the European Center at various times throughout the week.
What will students gain?
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Explain the distinct research/creativity processes among science/technology, social sciences, and arts.
- Describe the interrelatedness of research within science/technology, social sciences/humanities, and arts.
- Describe research as an interconnected, interdisciplinary, and global process.
- Develop their own scientific research project
- Apply skills in data analysis to test hypotheses
- Effectively communicate their research and findings in written, visual, and oral formats to a general audience
Who should enroll?
Anyone! The course will particularly benefit students with little to no experience with undergraduate research.
Are scholarships available?
Yes! Research awards are available through the Office of Undergraduate Research and Study Abroad Scholarships are available through the Office of Study Abroad.
For more information, including program costs and scholarship information, check out the European Center in Prague.
- To be scheduled