Summer is a great opportunity to participate in a research program. Known by various names such as REUs or SROPs, summer research programs typically include the following:
- Close work with faculty and other undergraduate researchers
- Time Bound – usually around 10 weeks
- Defined Research Problem – each program focuses on a research problem or topic area that will be explored for the
- Stipend – amount varies depending on the project and its funding source
- Assistance with housing and travel
Summer research programs require applications with deadlines ranging from December through April. If you are interested in a summer program, we encourage you to explore your options early.
Individual Summer Programs
In addition to the databases above, there are several individual programs that have been shared with OUR. The list below is not inclusive of all summer programs, so we encourage you to search for additional programs that may not be listed here.
- Center for Chemical Evolution – multiple locations
- Fred Hutch Cancer Research Center (Fred Hutch SURP) – University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Janelia Undergraduate Scholars Program – Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Ashburn, VA
- iSchool Inclusion Institute – University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- NIEHS Scholars Connect Program (NSCP) – National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Raleigh, NC
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST SURF) – Boulder, CO
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST SURF) – Gaithersburg, MD
- CCDC Army Research Laboratory Research Associateship Program (RAP) – U.S. Department of Defense, multiple locations
- Oak Ridge Associated Universities Undergraduate Research Opportunities – multiple locations
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) Research Programs – multiple locations
- RTI Research Internships – multiple locations
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) – U.S. Department of Energy, multiple locations
- Summer Institute in Biomedical Optics – Harvard-MIT, Cambridge, MA
If you work for an institution or organization that offers a summer research opportunity and would like to have it listed on this page, please email our office at email@example.com.