The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) is hiring undergraduate students with research – creative – scholarly experience to provide peer mentoring to incoming and current NC State University students interested in undergraduate research. The Ambassadors will assist the OUR in promoting undergraduate research across campus within all disciplines.
*The OUR and the Council on Undergraduate Research [CUR] defines undergraduate research as an inquiry or investigation conducted by an undergraduate student that makes an original intellectual or creative contribution to the discipline. Undergraduate research—a term that encompasses scholarship and creative activity—is recognized as a high-impact educational practice that has the ability to capture student interest and create enthusiasm for and engagement in an area of study.
The OUR is looking to fill 2-3 positions, open to students within Design, Textiles, CHASS, PCOM, and CoEd andwill be conducting interviews the week of January 4th 2021
Currently the OUR has sufficient ambassadors within the STEM disciplines.
- Attend and present at student organization and classroom talks, Experience NC, OUR Open House at Wolfpack Welcome Week, University Open House and other on campus events
- Hold office hours where students will be able to stop in to talk and ask questions of the Ambassadors with regards to undergrad research – currently done remote using Zoom
- Bridge mentor relations and build partnerships within their College
- Various other tasks will be available for students who are interested, such as serving on the peer review team for the statewide undergraduate research journal
- A current undergraduate student enrolled at NC State
- Be in good academic standing
- At least 1 full year of undergraduate research / creative experience at NC State University
- Actively conducting research or creative works
- Commit to attending training (Date & time TBD)
Qualities we are seeking:
- Good oral and written communication skill
- Ability to present effectively and communicate to varying audiences
- The ability to be self-motivated, friendly and relatable
- Willingness and ability to actively participate
- $14.00 per hour paid bi-weekly as a university student employee or Federal Work Study employee
- Experience in public relations (meeting people, public speaking, representing the OUR), which develops the skills and confidence vital to success in job interviews and career advancement
- Opportunity to work with and learn from DASA Administrators
- Broaden contacts among faculty, staff, students, and administration for help on campus and references upon graduation
- Opportunities to develop leadership skills
- Confidence through inspiring and motivating others