The Office of Undergraduate Research through the Division of Academic & Student Affairs (DASA) will provide research awards up to a maximum of $500 to undergraduate students for research projects for the Spring semester. The number of awards given is determined by amount of funding available at the time the selection process occurs. Proposals are reviewed by faculty/post-docs within the home college of the mentor.
Proposal Submission Process
Requirements and Restrictions:
- Students wishing to apply for the NC State Undergraduate Research Awards should:
- The research must be done during the Spring semester.
- ONLY NC State University actively enrolled undergraduates may apply. (Students must be enrolled in classes during the semester of their award)
- Students must apply online for the awards.
- During that process, students will upload their proposal form and provide budget information online
- Awards will be given to both single student and team proposals.
- If a team submits a proposal, a team leader should be selected to submit the proposal using the team proposal form and provide team budget online.
- These awards do not cover stipends/salaries, nor stipends/salaries and gift cards to survey/research participants.
- Travel: These research awards cover travel related to conducting research, such as mileage to and from research site to collect samples. Travel related expenses should be a minimal part of the budget submitted for a grant.
- Research awards do not cover travel to present research. Students seeking funding for travel to present research should apply for the OUR Travel Award
- Some study abroad expenses are not covered by these awards. Please contact our office prior to applying if you have questions about study abroad exceptions.
- If you receive a Fall and Spring award, you are not eligible to apply for additional funding during the same academic year, ie. Spring Only Award.
- Awards will not be processed unless the OUR Proposal Form is used.
- If you are working with humans – YOU MUST APPLY FOR UNIVERSITY IRB APPROVAL! (even if you are just doing surveys!)
- If you are working with vertebrate animals – YOUR PROJECT MUST HAVE IACUC APPROVAL!
- If you graduate in December prior to the spring semester, you are not eligible for award funding for the Spring Only
- Call for proposals will typically open in mid September and close in mid October prior to the spring semester.
- NC State students may also, in addition to presenting at NC State, present at the State of NC Undergraduate Research and Creativity Symposium (SNCURCS) in November each year, NCUR in April and/or, present at a national discipline conference, and/or publish in a professional journal.
- Students will typically be notified concerning funding in late November/early December.
- Spring Only – Up to a Maximum of $500 (amounts may vary)