The Office of Undergraduate Research through the Division of Academic & Student Affairs (DASA) will provide undergraduate research positions through the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program up to the maximum of the student’s FWS award during an academic year (typically $1500-$2000).
This program was started in the Fall of 2017 with 21 Research Assistant positions being created and expanded to over 80 positions in 2020-21 with faculty mentors spanning 9 colleges at NC State University.
The goal of the program is to provide students with a work-study position that allows the student to earn money through an enhanced work experience by learning about and conducting research with a faculty mentor.
Brief Overview of the Restrictions, Requirements, and Details
- Students MUST be eligible for Federal Work-Study
- Students MUST be undergraduates enrolled in at least 6 credit hours
- The hiring process must be completed in order to receive the FWS award funding
- Students must have a faculty mentor or expert in the research area to serve as their mentor
- The student is required to complete either A) a reflection paper OR B) present at the NC State spring symposium
- The student is required to complete a professional development activity each semester
- Students may not receive a OUR Research award during the same time as working as an OUR FWS RA
- Students must use the online application [link below]
- Students do not have to have a mentor to apply
- The Federal Work-Study financial aid award is not a lump sum award, but a paid job
- New hires are paid at $11 per hour, returning OUR FWS RA’s are paid at $12 per hour (effective Fall 2021)
- Students work on average 5-10 hours per week
- The WolfTime web based time clock is used by students to clock in and out for hours worked
- Students will use Moodle Projects to access program information and requirements after being hired
- A contract will be required that details the specific expectations and be signed by the student and mentor
Please email any questions you have to the office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete Restrictions, Requirements, and details may be found in the OUR FWS RA Position Handbook found below.
The OUR uses a general job listing that is meant to encompass all colleges and disciplines for its posting within the Federal Work-Study Job site found in the MyPack Portal.
Apply Now for a 2021-22
Federal Work-Study Research Assistant Program
Must have a FWS Award through Financial Aid to be eligible to apply!