The Office of Undergraduate Research through the Division of Academic & Student Affairs (DASA) will provide research awards up to a maximum of $1,000 to undergraduate students for research projects for the Fall and Spring academic year. The number of awards given is determined by amount of funding available at the time the selection process occurs. Proposals are reviewed by faculty/post-docs within the home college of the mentor.
Requirements and Restrictions:
- Students wishing to apply for the NC State Undergraduate Research Awards should:
- The research must be done during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- ONLY NC State University actively enrolled undergraduates may apply. (Students must be enrolled in classes during the semester of their award)
- Students must apply online for the awards.
- During that process, students will upload their proposal form and provide budget information online
- Awards will be given to both single student and team proposals.
- If a team submits a proposal, a team leader should be selected to submit the proposal using the team proposal form and provide team budget online.
- Students who receive an award are expected to participate in a future NC State Undergraduate Research Symposium (Spring or Summer), see Present Your Research.
- If you graduate in May, you must present your research at the NC State Spring Undergraduate Research Symposium in April.
- These awards do not cover stipends/salaries; stipends/salaries to survey/research participants; prizes or giveaways to participants; faculty travel; nor living expenses.
- Travel: These research awards cover travel ONLY related to conducting research, such as mileage to and from research site to collect samples. Travel related expenses should be a minimal part of the budget submitted for an award.
- Research awards do not cover travel to present research. Students seeking funding for travel to present research should apply for the OUR Travel Award
- Some study abroad expenses are not covered by these awards. Please contact our office prior to applying if you have questions about study abroad exceptions.
- If you receive a Fall and Spring award, you are not eligible to apply for additional funding during the same academic year, ie. Spring Only Award.
- If you are working with humans – YOU MUST APPLY FOR UNIVERSITY IRB APPROVAL! (even if you are just doing surveys!)
- If you are working with vertebrate animals – YOUR PROJECT MUST HAVE IACUC APPROVAL!
- Call for proposals will typically open in May and close in mid June prior to the next academic year.
- NC State students may also, in addition to presenting at NC State, present at the State of NC Undergraduate Research and Creativity Symposium (SNCURCS) in November each year, NCUR in April and/or, present at a national or international discipline conference, and/or publish in a professional journal.
- Students will typically be notified concerning funding in late July/August.
- Fall and Spring (Academic Year) – Maximum $1,000
- Fall ONLY – Maximum $500 (Dec graduates)
Detailed instructions, proposal form and link for submission can be found by using the link on the Fall and Spring 2018-2019 tab in the drop down menu under OUR Student Financial