The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) provides undergraduate research awards to NC State University undergraduate students to assist in funding mentored student research as well as travel awards to present student undergraduate research at discipline conferences.
Calls for student OUR award proposals for funding occur three times a year:
- Fall and Spring (Academic Year) call opens in April/May prior to the next academic year,
- Spring Only call opens in September/October prior to next spring semester,
- Summer call opens February/March, prior to the next summer semesters. The ACCAC Fellowships call opens with the summer grant call.
- Travel Award submissions are ongoing during the fiscal year from July to June.
- OUR Federal Work Study (FWS) Positions will provide students who are eligible for the Federal Work Study Financial Aid, an opportunity to conduct undergraduate research while earning wages. Positions are posted by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship in August.
Students wishing to apply for the NC State Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) Awards should have a mentor identified for the research, prepare a research proposal, and complete a budget of expenses related to the research.
Submission of the proposal and budget are done by the student through an online submission process. During that process, students identify a mentor who will be asked to upload a letter of recommendation. These awards are only for registered/active degree seeking NC State University undergraduates. These grants are intended to help cover costs of supplies and materials and are not able to be used for salary or stipends. The University Tutorial Center is able to provide assistance to those students who may need and want help writing a proposal. Please visit their website for more information.
The OUR Travel Awards are for travel related expenses associated with an NC State undergraduate student presenting undergraduate research at regional, national or international discipline conferences.
The OUR FWS positions will be filled via a Google form and submission of a resume by students. A faculty mentor is required and the OUR will assist those students who do not have a mentor identified.
Please use the links above, under the OUR Awards tab to find out more information about the proposal process for the three cycles of awards, travel awards, and FWS positions. We also recommend that you review the Award Proposal Scoring and Rubric Info prior to applying for OUR Awards (Does not apply to the OUR Travel Awards or FWS positions).
There are other external sources of funding for undergraduate research and travel to present student research. Please check out the External Funding page to learn about other opportunities and to see if you are eligible to apply.