The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) provides undergraduate research, scholarship and creative inquiry awards to NC State University undergraduate students to assist in funding mentored student research, scholarship and creative inquiry. The OUR also offers travel awards to undergraduate students to help defray the travel expenses to present at discipline conferences.
Calls for student OUR award proposals for funding occur three times a year, a rolling application process for travel awards and Fall semester posting of our FWS Research Assistance Positions.
- Fall and Spring (Academic Year) call opens in April/May prior to the next academic year,
- Spring Only call opens in September/October prior to next spring semester,
- Summer call opens February/March, prior to the next summer semesters.
- Travel Award submissions are ongoing during the fiscal year from July to June.
- OUR Federal Work Study (FWS) Positions will provide students who are eligible for the Federal Work Study Financial Aid, an opportunity to conduct undergraduate research while earning wages. Positions are posted by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship in August.
Academic Year, Spring Only and Summer Awards: Students wishing to apply for the NC State Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) Awards should have a mentor identified for the project, prepare a proposal, and complete a budget of expenses related to the research.
Submission of the proposal and budget are done by the student through an online submission process. During that process, students identify a mentor who will be asked to upload a letter of recommendation. These awards are only for registered/active degree seeking NC State University undergraduates. These grants are intended to help cover costs of supplies and materials and are not able to be used for salary or stipends. The University Tutorial Center is able to provide assistance to those students who may need and want help writing a proposal. Please visit their website for more information. We recommend that you review the Award Proposal Scoring and Rubric Info prior to applying for OUR Awards (Does not apply to the OUR Travel Awards or FWS positions).
The OUR Travel Awards are for travel related expenses associated with an NC State undergraduate student presenting undergraduate research, scholarship or creative work at regional, national or international discipline conferences.
The OUR FWS positions will be filled via a Google form and submission of a resume by students. A faculty mentor is required and the OUR will assist those students who do not have a mentor identified.
There are other external sources of funding for undergraduate research and travel to present student research. Please check out the External Funding page to learn about other opportunities and to see if you are eligible to apply.